- http://runningbrothers.com/category/the-running-brothers-movie/ – The now world famous Running Brother’s is up on our website. We had to break the movie into two parts. David Archuleta even wanted to audition for the next Running Brother’s movie. We told him we’d think about it. The movies have received wide acclaim by critics everywhere and has reached almost 450 views on www.youtube.com.
- http://runningbrothers.com/category/our-heroes/ – This month we interviewed two new heroes, Greg Hardesty, who works with my father at The Orange County Register and Peter Engwall from auggiesdad.sweat365.com.
- http://runningbrothers.com/1009/joined-up-with-some-new-runners-rocky-duran-and-chris-sydow/ – Rocky Duran and Chris Sydow joined The Running Brothers team. We ran for several miles together and are planning on running together a lot more often.
- http://runningbrothers.com/1003/we-went-and-bought-new-running-shoes-saucony-progrid-ride-3s/ – We decided we needed to buy new running shoes and headed to A Snail’s Pace in Brea. We were helped by the friendly staff on hand who set us up with our brand new running shoes.
- http://runningbrothers.com/category/rocky/ – Rocky wrote three amazing posts this month. “I’m Back” announced his return to The Running Brothers blog after a mini-hiatus. “Novelty Running” focused on his obsession with shopping for useless gadgets. And “Melt Downs and Blow Ups” asked our heroes for their favorite racing experiences.
- http://runningbrothers.com/category/events/los-alamitos-race-on-the-base/ – We completed our series on the 2011 Los Alamitos Race on the Base where we discussed the race, our preparation for it and how we felt afterwards.
- http://runningbrothers.com/971/pacific-electric-bike-trail/ – We took a leisurely bike ride along the Pacific Electric Bike Trail, find our opinions about it here.
- http://runningbrothers.com/1057/mystery-challenge-2/ – I posed the second installment of our Mystery Challenge Series to Rocky. He has no idea what the mystery challenge will be, but everyone is welcome to join us for the mystery challenge. If you would like to participate you won’t need to run, bike or swim, although you can if you want to. Please contact Zeb if you want to get in on the mystery challenge.
- http://runningbrothers.com/1027/exotic-animal-siting-on-a-run-through-chino-hills/ – Running in the week before the Orange County Marathon I came across my favorite animal, a Zebra, in my hometown. It’s amazing the things you can see when you run, bike or swim around a city.
In honor of our first marathon, the OC Marathon, I wanted to post some pictures of my brother and I running which you may or may not have seen yet. Thank you for following our blogs and wish us luck. Today is a big day for The Running Brothers. Our race starts at 6 AM at Fashion Island in Costa Mesa and not really sure where it finishes, but keep us in your thoughts and wish us well.
- How to Cure Runner’s Knee – An article by Steve Jaros about how to cure runner’s knee. Steve Jaros has over 50 years of running experience and has completed 14 marathons. Steve also happens to be our Uncle. http://runningbrothers.com/789/how-to-cure-runners-knee-by-steve-jaros/
- The Running Brothers Movie – We’re making a movie! Here about our exploits as we are writing, filming and creating our first movie. http://runningbrothers.com/category/the-running-brothers-movie/
- The Post Race Blues – The Post Race Blues hit The Running Brothers hard after their first half marathon. http://runningbrothers.com/859/the-post-race-blues/
- Los Alamitos’ Race on the Base – A series of articles dedicated to our experience at the 2011 Race on the Base. http://runningbrothers.com/category/events/los-alamitos-race-on-the-base/
- Ironman Training – Follow Zeb as he trains for his first marathon. Take some time to encourage him along the way. http://runningbrothers.com/category/zeb/ironman-training/
- The Integrious Project – Our cousin Beau has his own website devoted to making Integrious a word in the dictionary. Not only that, but he wants to have people think and act integriously. Read our article about The Integrious Project. http://runningbrothers.com/875/the-integrious-project/
- March 18, My 30th Birthday. On March 18, 2011, Zeb turned 30. Find out how his birthday went in the following article. http://runningbrothers.com/863/march-18-my-30th-birthday/
- My 30 Day Plan Until I’m 30. I had a plan to get into the best shape of my life by the time I was 30. It didn’t work out completely, but I did get in pretty good shape . . . http://runningbrothers.com/category/zeb/30-day-plan-until-im-30/
- Partying or Training – My brother and I planned on getting some training in on our trip to Vegas for Michael Nunez’s bachelor party . . . How well do you think that worked out? http://runningbrothers.com/845/partying-or-training/
I hustled my way over to the pool to perform my 200 Meter swim. And I had been practicing for months and really thought that I was going to demolish my swimming time from the year before. I jumped in the pool and immediately began to pass people, until I got behind some idiot who was doing the breast stroke.
Everyone was swimming at his pace and there was no way that I could get past the guy because his legs were continually spreading out like you would imagine a frog would in the pool of water. I kept trying to get past him and that really sapped my energy.
The pool that I had been training in was half the size of the pool that I competed in. I did not think it would make that much of a difference, but it did. Each lap felt so much longer than the laps I had been used to and when I sprinted the last 50 Meters in the pool, it just seemed like the end was never coming. But, eventually I made it, completed the swim and ran into my Dad, Mom, sister and Dusty. They congratulated me on a job well done, but man . . . was I tired.
Now, it was time to wait for my brother . . . who I had not seen since I pushed him at the beginning of the race.
After reaching the staging area, I was in good shape and rushed out with my bike and took off . . . but that didn’t last long as bicyclists began to pass me left and right. I do remember passing one bicyclist who looked like he was either drunk or had never ridden a bike before . . . as he riding a mountain bike which was wobbling all over the road. Had the police been following him, they would have made him perform a sobriety test for sure.
Overall, people were passing me pretty consistently on the bike, but they were not flying past me like they had the year before. I’m still not quite sure why I was getting passed though. I’m not sure if it was because of my bike or because I am not riding my bike using the proper technique. Either way, I know that my legs were working faster than many of the other riders.
After evaluating my results for the race, I saw an interesting statistic for the race. Almost everyone who finished ahead of me had a better bike time, while my times in the run and the swim were in the middle of the pack compared to those who performed better than me overall. So, it appears to me that my bicycling skills need to improve if I’m going to be able to compete at a higher level in these triathalon events.
I knew that a lot of people had passed me by the time I made it to the staging area for the second time. But, I had a feeling that I was still outperforming myself from the year before and made my way to the pool.
My brother and I only had a few minutes to spare when we made it to the starting line. My parents, sister and good friend, Dusty Edwards were there for support. They got in positions with their cameras and my brother and I pretended to stretch prior to the race. The starting pistol went off and the race was underway. I immediately pushed my brother to knock him off-balance so that I could have a clear path ahead. From that point on, I never looked back.
I felt like I was keeping a really good pace, passing people left and right. Although, I began to tire after about the second mile and the last mile was a bit of a struggle as people began passing me telling me to keep going . . . I guess I looked like I was about to keel over or something.
I made it into the staging area and was well ahead of most of the runners, I quickly gathered my bike and sped off in my brand new Cannondale bicycle.